Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

The state of my writing world

It dawned on me that I haven't actually talked about my writing since I started blogging again. I should probably rectify that.

There's an upcoming pax for Amber Allure featuring noir stories, of which I'm a part. I had a great idea for a scifi noir and threw myself into it. The only trouble is, last week when I hit 20k on it, I realized it was going to be too long--way too long--for the pax collection. Back to the drawing board for me.

It only took me a day or two to come up with something new, so I started that on Saturday. The way that's going, I might even have it done before GRL. It's called "The Low Between," and it's set in 1952 New York City, with an ex-cop, a wannabe actor, and a dead body they can't explain. I'm loving it.

I've also been editing an m/m historical that I finished a few months ago. This one's been a toughie for me, mostly because it was written during a time of such great stress in my life. I wanted to get some distance to make sure that I could look at it clearly. It's also tough to categorize. It's got magical elements, but I'm very reluctant to label it paranormal even though that's probably technically what it is. It's more like magical realism of a sort, though again, not really. Set in the rural Midwest in 1934, it's about a young man and his dreams when a traveling carnival arrives for the Fourth. As for a title...I'll probably be struggling to come up with one when I'm done with the edits.

My goal is to get both of these done and submitted by the time I leave for GRL. Then, when I get back, I'll throw myself into the m/m steampunk novella I'm doing for Amber Allure. My editing project then will be one of the het stories I've had rights return to me over the past few years. I had a shapeshifter novel that really should've been a menage that I've been meaning to redo, and I just got back the rights on one in an anthology that is dying to be expanded. We'll see which one catches my fancy.

Did I mention I want to write an m/m/f short story for a Total-e-Bound call, too? And that it's due November 1 if I try? Maybe that'll be my writing project while I'm in Albuquerque.

It's good to back in the writing saddle again. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

These all sound really cool, Vivien. I'll keep my eyes open for them.