SPICY SHRIMP SALAD WITH MANGO AND LIME
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 lbs cooked medium shrimp, peeled
1 ripe mango, peeled/pitted/diced
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 head romaine lettuce, torn
Large handful cilantro, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1. Soak onion in cold water while you prepare the rest of the salad.
2. Smash the garlic. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
3. Add lime juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and the chili powder. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream to make a dressing.
4. Toss the shrimp in the dressing.
5. Add mango, beans, lettuce, cilantro, and cherry tomatoes to the bowl. Drain and dry the onion, and scatter over the salad. Gently toss the salad together and serve.
NOTES: Serves 4.