Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Back from NOLA

All my good intentions of blogging while I was at RT? Arg. I was so busy with stuff and writing that it completely slipped my mind.

I got home yesterday and promptly crashed. It was a very long day of flying and plane transfers and it started way too early. But RT was good this year, if different for me than it has been in the past.

Typically, I work a lot, go to panels, and sit in the bar to socialize in the evening. The parties are just not my thing, and I'm not comfortable in huge groups, so a lot of the planned activities end up making me incredibly tense and not of the fun. The plan to socialize was shot, however, because of how truly crappy the acoustics were in the hotel. It was next to impossible to sit and have a decent conversation because of how loud it was. You couldn't even sit in the restaurant and talk to the person next to you because of the noise. So most evenings, I went back up to my room and wrote, because I have a ton of deadlines coming up.

That being said, I did get to meet a ton of great people. There were the usual suspects, people I adore that I only get to see at cons like Caitlyn Willows, Dee Carney, and ZA Maxfield, and then new people, like the irrepressible Sasha Devlin, my book signing buddies Cate Dean and Seleste Delaney, and Suzan Butler.

So do I have stories about craziness at RT? No, unfortunately. I do have new friends, however, and new authors to check out (some of which I already have, like the very talented Ryan Winfield). I learned quite a bit about self-publishing and marketing, and I got a ton of work done. For me, that's a win. A big win.

0 comments: