Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Why, yes, I am an introvert

The Huffington Post had an article earlier this week about signs you're a secret introvert. Some very interesting reading, though honestly, most things like this can be twisted to mean just about anything.

But I knew I was an introvert long before I read the article. It's very hard for me to put myself out there. I need that time to recharge after being thrust into social situations. I think only one or two of those signs didn't actually apply to me. Learning that and accepting it has ultimately made my life much easier, because I've stopped placing expectations on myself that are just completely unrealistic.

Like public promotions. I've gotten better at not completely shutting down in groups of people, but it's still very tough. My first choice would be to never do it. Hell, that would be my second, third, and fourth choices. That results in me being picky about which ones are actually worth it for me. Is the effort worth the potential reward? RT is, that's for sure. I always walk away from that so charged. But other cons...well, that's something to evaluate on a case-by-case basis, depending on my time and energy at the time. It takes effort to put myself out there. A lot of it.

Blogs help with that to a degree. It's still hard, because honestly, number one on that list about small talk is a big one for me. I often sit quietly on the sidelines because I literally have no idea what to say. Writing small talk is hard, too. Whenever we would get to one of those kind of scenes in a story, I would always complain about it being boring and Pepper would always come back with how vital it was for the characters. She invariably won almost every one of those arguments.

This particular introvert will be taking it easy this weekend. Though it's a holiday weekend here in the US, I have been sick with the same cold that flattened my family earlier this week. My plan is to rest, read, and leave the house as little as possible. Maybe it sounds boring to some of you, but for me, right now it's nirvana.

0 comments: