Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Obsessed with Hozier

I am thoroughly, utterly obsessed with Hozier. Seriously. And it's not because of "Take Me to Church," which, while amazing, is not my favorite song from his album.

It's because of "Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene."


This is his performance from last October when he was on SNL. Forget the fact that the man is so gorgeous. Or has bedroom eyes. Or gives great interview. This song is just stunning to listen to.

The man is a poet. Just read the lyrics to his songs. You can't deny it. And this one is in iambic pentameter as well. And has smart references. Not one person I've talked to about this song realized what "small death" referred to. He's absolutely not afraid to couch his social criticisms in beautiful words and sex imagery.

I've even gone so far to start learning all the songs on my guitar. My guitar teacher is getting a little tired of me talking about Hozier all the time, though at least I got him to admit how talented he is.

So...yeah. A little obsessed. He cites James Joyce as an inspiration for his music. What's not great about that?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way. I feel almost evangelical about how wonderful he is. I'm thoroughly obsessed.