Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

The ultimate product placement movie

So my family and I went to see the Lego movie over the weekend, much like a lot of other people in the US if the sales figures are accurate. It was my daughter's birthday weekend, and she's been clamoring to see it ever since we saw the first trailer. When that was what she wanted more than anything else, I could hardly say no to all of us going.

And...I liked it. True to form, a lot of the really funny bits are in the trailers, but I laughed out loud in quite a few places, and I walked out of the theater with a smile on my face. A big part of that is because of the last fifteen minutes, which were both quite clever and obvious after the fact. It's frenetic and loud and bright, but that's half the point, and for essentially being a feature-long commercial for Legos, manages to do so without being too annoying.

Except for that damn "Everything Is Awesome" song. It was cute the first time. But my family is still singing it a day later and it's driving me crazy.

I'm not so sure it's as smart as everybody keeps saying. I've seen smarter satire, but for a kids' movie, it works well. The absolute best part of the movie is that there are a ton of teeny surprises in it that made me squeal in delight. Details that don't really have much to do with the story but play up to the kid who grew up with Legos in all of us.

Did you see it? What did you think?

0 comments: