Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

The perfect hero?

Yesterday, my family and I went and saw Raiders of the Lost Ark at our local IMAX. Neither my husband nor my kids had ever seen it on the big screen before, while I saw it the first time at a drive-in at a young age. We wanted to be able to experience it anew, and mostly, see how it's withheld the test of time.

The answer to that? Very well, thank you.

But while I've always loved Indy, it wasn't until watching it this time that I realized he just might be the most perfect hero ever. I mean, think about it. He's the ideal combination of academic and athlete, using his physical prowess in the name of archaeology and when that fails him, resorting to smarts. Better than that, he's not infallible. The fight with the huge German outside the plane doesn't bode well for Indy, because let's face it, he doesn't have the same muscle the other guy does. He gives a dirty hit when he get one in because really, it's the only shot he's got.

But what tips him over the edge in my book?

Marian.

She's not your typical ingenue. She's ballsy, can drink men under the table, and isn't afraid of throwing a punch. On top of that, she's got girl-next-door looks, so while she's certainly attractive, it's not intimidating in the slightest.

And Indy adores her. In all her annoying attitude. By halfway through the movie, his only mission is to save her.

How can you not love a guy like that?

2 comments:

Carla Krae said...

Yes, I'm so happy he and Marian end up together in the most recent movie. She's the best gal Indy ever romanced.

Vivien Dean said...

Oh my, a thousand times yes. Getting to see it come full circle like that was probably my favorite part of the last movie.