Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday

Welcome to my SSS! For the month of September, I'm highlighting sentences from a short story that released two years ago, a contemporary gay erotica piece called Yesterday's Names. Jonathan has traveled to Italy to visit Nettuno, where his hook-up from the night before has surprised him by showing up to keep him company for what he knows will be a long, hard day. I'm skipping slightly ahead to that evening, after Jonathan has returned to Rome, his purpose for coming to Italy fulfilled.

...The images that filled my head weren’t the ones from the club, though I doubted I would ever forget the taste of his mouth on mine. No, I remembered him in the sunlight, the slight pressure of his hand on my back, the lyrical cadences of his voice as we talked more about our families. I had learned he had three siblings he hadn’t seen since he’d come out, and nieces and nephews he’d never seen at all. He’d told me about moving to Rome, and his first boyfriend, while I talked about how excited I’d been the first time I’d been able to kiss a guy without worrying Pastor Grant was going to catch me and renounce me for a sinner.

I didn’t want to spend the night with a stranger. I wanted Davide.


To check out all the other six sentence contributions, head over to the official website.

14 comments:

Clare Davidson said...

This introspection is so sweet. You managed to create empathy for both characters. I want Jonathan to be able to be with Davide, too!

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying these snippets. I'm going to indulge for a bit longer before I buy the book.

Anonymous said...

Vivien, your writing is beautiful. Thanks so much.

Unknown said...

Wonderful how smoothly you inserted that background. Gives the characters such depth.

Jessica E. Subject said...

A very sweet six to reveal more about these characters.

Denny S. Bryce said...

Very lyrical, and definitely a character revealing six. Well done.

E. Jamie said...

Very moving six!

Monica Enderle Pierce said...

So poignant. You always find the humanity in your characters, Vivien.

sue said...

wonderful characters and how the stigma of being gay affects them. So sad when family renounces you. And it happens oftenn.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Beautiful evocation of his feelings.

Veronica Scott said...

The memories are so evocative - I hope they end up together. Very engaging six!

FCEtier said...

"the slight pressure of his hand on my back,"

This line evokes wonderful memories and great feelings for either gender. Well done!

J.C. Martin said...

Sounds like he's totally smitten! I'm enjoying your snippets from this story!

Sarah Ballance said...

You have such a knack for tapping into the emotions of readers and characters alike so every word is infinitely relatable. Beautiful!