Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

Everyone Is Gay

Like a lot of people, I fell in love with the song "Say Something" by A Great Big World in recent months. It's just stunning. On a whim, I decided to pick up the CD last week and put it in the car.

My daughter and I might have a favorite new band. We haven't even made it through the whole CD yet and we think that. We keep hearing songs and going back to listen to them again, that's how much we love them.

For the most part, the CD is nothing like "Say Something" in mood. Where that one is melancholy and haunting, most of the rest are buoyant and positive. The melodies are often simple, but they are so damn catchy. Yes, it's pop, but I'm not ashamed to admit I can be a pop fan, too.

Our favorite, however, BY FAR, is a song called "Everyone Is Gay." My daughter's comment after we listened to it the first time was that while she loved a lot of the other songs out there that were in support of the LGBTQ community, it was great to hear one with so much joy and hope and humor. It embraces everyone, and do you know how great it is to see bi-inclusivity when bisexuality is often ignored/denied/erased? The song gives me hope, makes me laugh, and just utterly charms me.

When my husband got home, we made him listen/watch the video because it made us smile so much. We walked out of his office when it was over, and he immediately started whistling it. That's how catchy it is.


What sucks is that they're in our area this weekend for their tour and we can't go. Why didn't we figure out we loved them so much months ago? Damn it.

0 comments: