Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Lost weekend

The cold I was catching late last weekend took deep root this weekend. I spent most of it on the couch, drugged to the gills, either sleeping or watching movies.

Needless to say, I watched a lot of movies this weekend - The Artist, Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Serpico, The Field, Zoolander, Oh, God!, Hoosiers...

The one I enjoyed the most, though? A little movie called Love Potion #9 that got ignored when it came out and only achieved recognition later because it was one of Sandra Bullock's early movies.

For whatever reason, this movie charms me in ways more sophisticated/expensive movies do not. For those who don't know, Bullock and Tate Donovan play two science geeks with lousy luck when it comes to the opposite sex. Donovan gets a love potion from a fortune teller that he then throws away, but after his cat gets into the trash and his apartment gets swarmed by other cats chasing it down, he takes it more seriously.

It's a romcom, true, but there's so many small moments, I love it as much for that. When Donovan comes home to find the garbage tipped over and then proceeds to hold the cat over it saying, "Bad, this is bad," I die every time. How many of us cat owners have done something remarkably similar? I could go on and on about how much I love this movie, but I won't. It was exactly the kind of medicine I needed yesterday.

Of course, having taken the weekend off, I now have a mountain of work facing me today. Which means it's time to buckle down!

0 comments: