Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

A Childhood Favorite - A Wrinkle in Time

One of my favorite books as a child was A Wrinkle in Time. I read it the first time when I was seven, and it quickly became a perennial favorite. I identified a lot with the awkward Meg, and the combination of family adventures, science, and philosophy called out to me in ways no other book ever did. I devoured the whole series. It was one of the first sets I bought in its entirety when I was an adult. It still holds a huge place in my heart.

Yesterday, an article appeared in the Wall Street Journal about pages that L'Engle's granddaughter uncovered that had been edited out prior to publication. The pages elaborate on more of L'Engle's personal beliefs that add a more nuanced perspective on what she meant to convey with Camazotz. They're fascinating to read. If you have even a passing interest in the book, I highly recommend checking it out.

Meanwhile, I'll be pulling out my copy of the book so I can reread it this weekend. I believe I'm overdue.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

0 comments: