Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

No Life for Pi

I had another DNF over the weekend. Life of Pi. It's one of those books that I always knew I should read but was never intrigued enough by what I saw to bother. I never saw the movie, either. I just couldn't muster enough desire to do it. But last week, I pulled the book off my TBR shelf and decided to give it a go. I lasted about fifty pages, which tends to be my marker on where I decide to continue on or give up on a book if I'm on the fence about it.

It's not that it was bad. It was interesting for the first few chapters. But as soon as he started in on the religious chapters, analyzing and exploring the various types and absorbing them into his life, I got bored. Very bored. Having long discussions about spirituality and religion is a major turn-off for me. It's not that I can't read about religious things - I'm currently reading Be Near Me by Andrew O'Hagan which has a Catholic priest as its central character - but that I don't want to be lectured or have it shoved in my face.

It's the lectures and dictating of morality that throws my hackles up. It just so happens that it occurs a lot with religious issues.

Sometimes I can overlook that kind of thing if I'm really into a character or the plot or the writing style, but I wasn't in this case. So I set it down and moved onto the next book.

Life's too short to waste on books that I don't care about.

0 comments: