Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Adding in the exercise


Now that my inlaws are back in England, and my life has resumed some of its (normal) routine, I have moved on to the next step of getting healthier.

Exercise.

It should be a four-letter word, shouldn't it?

I hate it, I'll admit it. Though I played baseball as a kid, I was a sprinter not a long distance runner. I'm good with exertion in short stints, very good even, but stamina and I are not good friends. There have been times in my life when I got onto the exercise bandwagon, but honestly, those were times when things were less hectic--before kids, before two transcontinental moves, before writing. Fitting exercise in these days is a lot harder than it used to be.

But my weight loss has plateaued. And I know it's better for me to be moving. And as much as I hate it, I need to find a way of scheduling it in.

It's not as difficult as it could be. A few years ago, my husband and I took the money we were shelling out for a gym and bought an elliptical machine for home. That was all we ever really used regularly at the gym anyway. It sits in the garage, complete with a shelf to set a laptop or iPad on to watch as it gets used.

I added that last week. My calves haven't completely forgiven me yet.

I'm alternating the elliptical with toning exercises while I watch TV at night. Often I would sit on the couch with some kind of craft project or my laptop while I watched, but I decided that I can use half an hour of that time to get on the floor and target those areas that need it.

My thighs aren't speaking to me, either.

That's okay. I know they will eventually. Because the rewards for doing this will eventually be noticeable.

Do you hate exercise as much as I do?

0 comments: